Geometry around usInstructor: Anna Felikson
Spring and Summer 2023: The notes (hand-written notes in Russian):
- 1. Playing Dobble:
- 4. Railroad questions:
- 5. Finding treasure:
- 6. Mad Tea Party:
- Times Tables, Mandelbrot and the Heart of Mathematics, 13min video from Mathologer, by Burkard Polster (in English).
- 7. Playing Set:
- Playing Set, 15min video by Alexey Savvateev - includes demonstration of big collection of cards without SET and open problems (in Russian).
- 8. Group theory in the bedroom:
- Group theory in the bedroom, by Brian Hayes.
- 9. Numeral systems:
- Numeral Systems, by I.M.Yaglom (in Russian).
Winter 2023: The notes (hand-written notes in Russian):
- 1. Santa's Questions: Notes.
- 2. Map Projections: Notes.
- 3. Braids: Notes.
- 4. Hairy Ball Theorem: Notes.
- 5. Is a mug different from a donut? Notes.
- 6. Euler characteristic: Notes.
- 7. Knots and links: Notes.
- 8. Faces of a simplex and Pascal triangle: Notes.
- 9. Geometry in the corner of the room: Notes.
- 10. Water pouring and billiard table: Notes.
- 1. Isoperimetric Problem:
- Dido and Isoperimetric Problem, by I.Sharigin (in Russian).
- 2. Map Projections:
- Mercator Projection, by Andrey Shetnikov (in Russian).
- 3. Braids:
- Braids and Knots, by Alexei Sossinsky (in Russian).
- 4. Hairy Ball Theorem:
- Global wind map, life wind map.
- 5. Is a mug different from a donut?
- Classification of surfaces , by Alexander Veselov (in Russian).
- 7. Knots and links:
- 9. In the corner of a room:
- Mathematical fun , book by Boris Kordemsky (in Russian).
- 10. Water pouring and billiards:
Autumn 2022: The notes (hand-written notes in Russian):
- 1. Goat, grass and cabbage: Notes and Turkish Lullaby (3-minutes long cartoon).
- 2. Where to dig a well?: Notes and Combodian Lullaby.
- 3. Illumination Problem: Notes and Lithuanian Lullaby.
- 4. Four Colour Theorem: Notes and Jewish Lullaby.
- 5. Shadows: Notes and Lullaby of Argentina.
- 6. Oranges: Notes and Polish Lullaby.
- 7. Seven Bridges of Königsberg: Notes and Japanese Lullaby.
- 8. Sandwich Theorem: Notes and French Lullaby.
- 9. Paper Snowflakes: Notes and Lullaby of Switzerland.
- 4: Four Colour Problem:
- 5: Shadows:
- How to make a cardboard sundial - instruction, by Inna Pishkina (in Russian).
- 6: Oranges:
- 9: Paper Snowflakes: